virtual auto tech.
virtual auto tech., A.S.E. Certified Master Technician
Experience:  Over 13 years working on imports and domestic cars

I have a 2007 Silverado Z71 4X4 .I purchased it used w/

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Silverado Z71 4X4 .I purchased it used w/ 108000 miles on it in March of 2016 . The problem is : Intermittently it acts like the battery is disconnected . leaving me stranded several time since I had it at the dealership in March . They replaced the positive battery cable / stating that they measured a voltage drop of 7 volts ( 57 volts required and only getting 50 volts ) they ruled out the negative side cable /charging and Battery systems . The Starter and Alternator all past what was required in testing .
They sent me on my way after a charge of nearly $400.00 .We started having problems again several weeks later with it doing the same thing . Only this time if I let it sit for 30 mints or so it would act like it reset , and I was able to start it again .
The problem now is , Its becoming a pain in the --- wondering if its going to start if I should want to go into the market or to a movie or to the doctors office etc.
I am going to take it back with my receipts for the so called repairs the dealership made in March , but I don't know if they are scamming me or not . Shouldn't they responsible if the repairs made back then , and were not corrected properly ?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  virtual auto tech. replied 4 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.So I think I answered on your other post. But if they told you, you had a 7v drop and that 57v were required and you were only getting 50 they were scamming you.
You have a 12v system. And I highly doubt you had a 7v drop on a 07. I've never seen that high of a drop personally. And even if you did, interior lights would have still come on the dash.
But if your computer is acting up you could have some of those problems or if the ignition switch was you could have those problems.But to answer your question, while they should diagnose it for free but you might have to fight with them for that. However they will probably still charge for whatever repair they do.Let me know if this helps or if you have any questionsThanks
I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Expert:  virtual auto tech. replied 3 months ago.
Do you still want help with this issue?
Let me know please.Thanks