GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

Transmission showing 300 deg on gauge laser on pan shows 145

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

The temp sender may be located in a place where the transmission is much more dense and holds more heat. The pan likely has much more fluid in it than the sensor location which helps drop the temperature and there will be some heat loss through the pan itself. Do you have the ability to check the trans temp through the engine and transmission computers in data stream? What are you attempting to accomplish?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
3 years ago transmission temp gauge and idiot light started coming on would slowly rise to 280,300 then sometimes it would fall to 160 then bounce around 20 an 80 degrees rapidly then back up to 300. I would stop put a laser temp gauge on pan and case temp showed 145. Had 2 temp sensors installed new wiring harness, same thing then they replaced the valve body in the tranny since it is near the temp sensor , now they are saying its the computer and want 2300.00 at the dealership to install and program it, already dropped 3500.00 on this problem. Are they guessing
Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

Good chance they are guessing if they can't give a solid reason. It is a reasonable guess I suppose if the sensor and the harness have been replaced. I would be guessing connection or wiring harness corrosion problem. Are they willing to put any guarantee on the fix? Like no charge if it does not fix it?