Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European

When I try to crank my 2001 chevy malibu, the starter does

Customer Question

when I try to crank my 2001 chevy malibu, the starter does not turn over.
I tried resetting the anti theft device - no deal. The battery and alternator tested good. Any ideas?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 4 months ago.

Hi there.

Do you mean the Security warning is on? If so, do you have a spare transponder key?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No the security light is not on and I do not know what a transponder key is.

I could guide you through a quick diagnostic test that will give us a better idea of where the issue lies. Do you have access and know how to use basic mechanic's tools including an automotive multimeter?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Good. With your voltmeter set for 20 volts DC, have a helper turn the ignition to START while you check for voltage at the Purple wire going to the starter solenoid. If more than 10.5 volts are getting there, the solenoid or starter is bad. However, if no voltage gets to that Purple wire, then go to the Park/neutral Position Switch on top of the transaxle and check for voltage coming in the Yellow wire and out the Purple wire. If no voltage on the Yellow wire, the most probable cause of the no-start is a bad ignition switch.

I have to log out for the day. I’ll be back online ready to continue our conversation tomorrow from 2 to 8 PM EST. Please contact customer service at if you need immediate assistance.