Kavey
Kavey, Shop Owner
Experience:  MO Safety/Emissions Certified on all makes and models with a strong electronics background aiding in electrical troubleshooting.
66997337

2000 Chevy venture cranks but won't turn over, 150 thousand

Customer Question

2000 Chevy venture cranks but won't turn over
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: 150 thousand miles it is an automatic transmission
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I have tested fuel pressure I seem to get fuel to the rail and I check the spark I have sufficient spark
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: This car has a security system but I don't think that's the problem because it does crank
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Kavey replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Whats the security light doing? Cranking is not an indication one way or another for the security system.
If it disaabled the starter then that may be the case but since it dont thats meaningless.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When you crank it it blinks a red light
Expert:  Kavey replied 5 months ago.

Then your thinking is wrong. It very much IS a security system issue.

Do you have another key you can try?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No but it's an aftermarket security system it's not one that comes with the car and it has its own key
Expert:  Kavey replied 5 months ago.

Oh, Whats That brand name? I cant read it and never seen one like that.. thats gotta be a pain.

Expert:  Kavey replied 5 months ago.

But yeah most aftermarkets just disable the starter. Whats your fuel pressure?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Loctronics i've never seen it before either this is actually my brother-in-law's van but I had one just like it and it had nothing like that
Expert:  Kavey replied 5 months ago.

I just pulled up a diagram on that and its just a starter disable. Pure gimmick if you ask me but not part of your problem. If the starters working thats fine.

What is your fuel pressure?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I just disconnected the line from the fuel pump to the fuel filter and got nothing
Expert:  Kavey replied 5 months ago.

Did you not say in your original question it had good fuel pressure?

When you cycle the key can you hear the pump running?

If you bang on the tank while someone is cranking it does it start pumping fuel?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I checked up by the rail it must've been residual pressure I disconnected it from the fuel filter turn the key got nothing
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hold on I will check on the other two questions give me a minute
Expert:  Kavey replied 5 months ago.

Take your time.

Expert:  Kavey replied 5 months ago.

Also just to be sure does it have gas in it? Does the tank sound hollow?

Many times Ive seen them where they have been driving 300 miles and the gas gauge shows half a tank so they think it still has gas and never noticed they ran out.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When I bang on the tank it still doesn't send any fuel and I can't hear the pump I even put a screwdriver up to the tank and put my ear to the screwdriver and still can't hear the pump
Expert:  Kavey replied 5 months ago.

Try jumpering across pins 30 and 87 at the relay and see if that gets it running.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It does sound a little hollow but my brother-in-law put a gallon of gas in it so there is gas in the tank I do have gas on hand if you think I should put more in
Expert:  Kavey replied 5 months ago.

Is it parked flat? Theres a lot of surface on the bottom of the tank... one gallon wont raise the level that much. If its parked with the front end slightly downhill that would never touch the fuel pump.

Whats the gas gauge show?

I dont think it would be a bad idea to try a few gallons of gas either way.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I jumped 87 and 30 and nothing
Expert:  Kavey replied 5 months ago.

OK, It sounds like a bad fuel pump then. Do you have a multimeter or test light? If so check voltage on 30

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
1/4 tank
Expert:  Kavey replied 5 months ago.

And you have power?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I just dumped five more gallons of fuel in the tank still got nothing I tested for power at the relay and I do have power
Expert:  Kavey replied 5 months ago.

Well your next step is to drop the tank and verify the power is making it to the sending unit. If so it needs a new pump/sending unit assembly.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Which wires would it be I have a red a green or white or gray with a black stripe a black a purple with white stripe solid gray solid purple
Expert:  Kavey replied 5 months ago.

The grey and black are the fuel pump.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have power to the pump
Expert:  Kavey replied 5 months ago.

If you have power and ground to the pump and its not pumping you need a new sending unit/fuel pump assembly.

If you got a little time to wait HERE is a Delco for 125 shipped.

Let me know if you need anything further and please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for helping you today. Thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you very much have a good one
Expert:  Kavey replied 5 months ago.

You too.

Please be sure to rate my service or I will not get any credit for helping you.