Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

My 2005 silverado 2500 hd 4x4, makes a grinding noise when I

Customer Question

my 2005 silverado 2500 hd 4x4, makes a grinding noise when I put it in park, also will not move in any gear, but will roll in park
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: 2005, yes i checked it
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: it depends on possible cause, checked fluids, took shift cable off and manually put it in gear, cheked to see if it would start in any other gear
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: when it first happened it was hard to shift from reverse to drive then heard a loud metal clunk coming from under driver seat
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GMC Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.

HI,

Did you drain the the transmission fluid to see if there is metal in it?

Can I get the last 8 of the vin to pull the transmission schematics for your vehicle

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
5E336217, fluid looks and smells fine, im wondering if it could be transfer case, sounds like its shifting from 2wd to 4wd though
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.

when this happens and when in drive and the rear drive shaft is NOT moving at all the problem is either internally in the transfer case or the rear planetary gear set in the rear of the transmission has failed

its best to remove the transfer case and with it in park see if the output shaft of the transmission is locked if it IS locked the transfer case has failed if that output shaft WILL turn when in park then the transmission needs to come out and be rebuilt or at least the rear planetary gear set replaced

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer