Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.

My 2005 cobalt when I put it in drive the power door locks

Customer Question

My 2005 cobalt when I put it in drive the power door locks rapidly go up and down and there is equally frequent clicking noise in the shifter area. When in drive the transmission will barely pull the car. What's up?
Submitted: 4 months ago via
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This sounds like a fault with the transmission position sensor.If this sensor is sending an incorrect signal on what position it is in this will cause the locks to cycle like this here as well as the noise in the shifter and incorrect shifting which can cause the transmission to barely engage properly to operate the vehicle or engage an incorrect gear position electronically.

This position sensor/switch is located on top of the transmission where the shifter cable connects.The cable is removed and then the sensor/switch can be replaced.I would have this tested to make sure this is the cause here but this does sound like the fault for this issue.Below is a picture of the sensor.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Didn't work any other suggestions
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Was this sensor/switch replaced and it the shift indicator showing the correct gear that the shifter is in?