Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

1995 chevy p30 7.4l step van computer always burn out. I

Customer Question

1995 chevy p30 7.4l step van computer always burn out. I have all new distributor, cap rotor, spark spurs. everything is new even my pcu (computer). What the problem?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

When you say the computer always burns up can you explain what you mean by this, is the engine dying and are you loosing spark , fuel pressure or injector pulse. Post back when you can with complete details and I will see if I can help you get this resolved.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have excellent fuel, there's spark in the coil and spark plugs. Everything seems to be fine when cranking the van. It just don't start not even back fire. Replaced everything with brand new parts and also replaced the computer. After driving the van for couple days, the engine suddenly just cuts off. Got a new computer drove for couple days then the engine cuts off. I went through 5 new computers.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Before you replace any more parts can you start with rechecking to see if you have injector pulse when the engine stalls if you are sure you have good spark and proper fuel pressure. I would also like you to check the charging system out put when the engine is running to make sure its not exceeding 14 volts. Post back with the results and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I THINK I GAVE YOU ENOUGH INFORMATION FOR YOU TO GIVE ME YOUR PROFESSIONAL TROUBLESHOOT. YES, AS I SAID, I HAVE SPARK (STRONG) IN THE SPARK PLUG & COIL. I HAVE CONSISTENT FUEL. WHEN DRIVEN FOR 15 MINUTES OR MORE, I STOP AT A STOP SIGN OR STOP LIGHT THEN MY STEP VAN CUTS OFF. WHEN RE STARTING MY STEP VAN, IT DOEN'T START UP. I STILL HAVE GOOD SPARK & FUEL AND THE ENGINE TURNS OVER BUT DOSENT START UP. MY VEHICLE ONLY STARTS WHEN I REPLACE THE ECU. I NEED YOUR PROFESSION TROUBLESHOOT. IM UNSATISFIED WITH YOUR BUSINESS HAVING NO ANSWER FOR MY PROBLEM.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Well In order to help you trouble shoot it we need you to check some things as mentioned , like do you have injector pulse when it will not start? If you are not able to do this then I will open the post back up for you and hopefull someone will have something quick to offer that dose not require any testing.

Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 5 months ago.

Hi there. Different expert here.

My goal, as is for all the other experts on this site, is to help you solve your issue with the minimum of effort and time spent on your part. However, sometimes we need to ask you for additional information. We do this to get a better idea of what the issue is and, as such, how to best help you. For example, the reason why we ask you about injector pulse is because the onboard computer is what pulses the injectors open and closed. When one or more injectors or their circuits short-out, the resulting amperage burns the electronic drivers inside the computer.

If you'd like to work with me, I'd be more than happy to guide you through all the diagnostic procedures that will reveal the cause of the computers burning up - please be aware of the fact that you'll need to use tools such as a multimeter and probably even a scan tool to execute those procedures.