Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Auto Mech / Electronics
Experience:  Chevrolet Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Race Shop Owner, Mobile Electronics.
1609972

Security light comes on and engine starts normally but shuts

Customer Question

security light comes on and engine starts normally but shuts down immediately
JA: Does the light flash, blink or stay solid? Have you tried to reset the security system?
Customer: light stays solid. how do I reset the secutity system
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2004 Astrovan I call it various things.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Have replaced Key cylinder and new harness down to where it plugs into it's receptacle under the dash. Sometime during this the security light came on. Yes I want to fix it myself..
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: nothing except the negative cable was disconnected before performing this as was prudent
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 7 months ago.

.

sorry for the delay............
.
Greetings...... “Hi, I’m Don (aka MOLurch) and I look forward to helping you!”
.

LEARN PROCEDURES
There are two available methods to perform the programming procedure:

• A 10 minutes procedure which requires a Tech 2 Scan Tool and a techline terminal.
  • A 30 minutes procedure which does not require the use of any tools.
    IF you do not have GM Scan Tool you will have to do the 30 Minute Relearn
    It MUST be followed exactly
    Connect a Battery Charger or Jumper if you are not sure of your Battery condition

10 Minute Learn Procedure

TOOLS REQUIRED

• Tech 2
  • Techline terminal with current SPS (Service Programming System) software
  1. Connect the Tech 2 to the vehicle.
  2. Select "Request Information" under "Service Programming".
  3. Disconnect the Tech 2 from the vehicle and connect it to a techline terminal.
  4. On the techline terminal, select "Theft Module Re-Learn" under "Service Programming".
  5. Disconnect the Tech 2 from the techline terminal and connect it to the vehicle.
  6. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  7. Select "VTD Re-Learn" under "Service Programming".
  8. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
  9. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password ***** the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).
  10. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .
  11. Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the password).
  12. With the Tech 2 (scan tool), clear any DTCs.

30 Minute Learn Procedure

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .
  5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).

IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password ***** the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

1. Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password).
  2. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed (history DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles).

.
IF you need more information, please ask "prior" to Rating.
.
Please do the right thing and leave a rating, using the rating system, so I may be credited for this Q&A.
.
NOTE: Do NOT Rate on how much TIME you waited, because I am not on 24 / 7 and I answer as soon as I see the question.
The question will still remain open for follow up questions if needed.
.
If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
.
Rating is very Important to our Service
.
.