GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

Anyone out there willing to help me figure out how to test

Customer Question

anyone out there willing to help me figure out how to test my wiring in my 2003 Suburban with a voltage & continuity tester? I have several wires that go to my instrument cluster that have no voltage and I'm trying to figure out how to track down the wiring problem before I throw in the towel to get my cluster fixed considering if I don't have any power to several wires how is replacing the cluster going to fix the wiring
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Kavey replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

I have no problem helping you. If you got power and ground circuits missing what they should have I wouldnt expect the cluster to be bad. Thats why its recommended to check the power and ground circuits before replacing it.

Now which wires are missing power and have you also checked the ground circuits?

Expert:  Kavey replied 4 months ago.

FOr what its worth one of the grounds which the instrument cluster gets grounded through at the left rear of the engine is known to have issues and cause cluster problems.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I know that the ground issue is fine. both A12 and B12 going into my cluster are good... the wires that don't work.... I will have to let you know that when I get a chance to get to truck and tell you....
Expert:  Kavey replied 4 months ago.

Sounds good. Reply when you get that information for me and we will walk through and figure out where youre losing it.