Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

I'm having issues with some of my instrument cluster wires

Customer Question

I'm having issues with some of my instrument cluster wires are not working. I have used a continuity tester to check voltage and I have 8 out of 16 wires not working. on an 2003 Chevy Suburban
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

first, lets try something simple,,

Remove both battery cables from the battery, touch and hold both the - and the + cables together for 5 seconds, then re-install them back to the battery

let me know if this fixed the problem

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

i would think you will need to replace the cluster,,we have had to replace many over the years for this problem

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
But if the wires aren't working then how is replacing the cluster the answer? I was about to figure out about sending cluster off to get fixed but then something told me that I needed to check the wires, which I did and found no voltage in half the wires. so that right there tells me something else is wrong besides just getting cluster fixed.