JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech

I took my 2004 suburban and it failed because the catalys

Customer Question

I took my 2004 suburban for inspection and it failed because the catalys and evap monitors were not ready.... the service engine light came on two months before that for a couple of days and then went off by itself.... So I took the suburban to the dealer and they did a drive cycle and they said it was good and both monitors were ready.....I drove straight to the inspection place and it failed again for the same thing.....I drove back to the dealer and they checked the sensor and they were both not ready again
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: there are no codes
JA: I'll pass this info along to the Chevy Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. What is the model of your '04 Chevy?
Customer: 04 chevy suburban
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes I want to fix my self
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: the ECM was reflashed also and the monitors keeps resetting..the dealer has done the drive cycle twice and both times the monitors were ready but reset after I left the dealer
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 4 months ago.

are you sure the monitors were actually ready ( do you believe they were being honest) as readiness monitors do not change status from ready to not ready?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I took it to the chevy dealer, I am hoping they were honest
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I took the vehicle back to the dealer and I am waiting on what they have to say now... I am just a little frustrated because the vehicle runs fine, I just can't get the vehicle to pass the inspection

it doesn't sound like they were, and the key to solving this problem is performing a drive cycle and if the engine light comes on again dont wait for it to go off get the trouble code ASAP and also have it scanned for pending and history codes. if it has pending or current codes it will not run readiness monitors

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you