Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air Conditioning systems
45790705

Are you really there? I typed in a question about 10 minutes

Customer Question

Are you really there?
JA: No. I'm the Chevy Mechanic's Assistant.
Customer: I typed in a question about 10 minutes ago... no response.
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: chev venture 2000 warner bros edition.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Symptom - won't kick over. Battery was bad. Replaced. Replacement was bad too. Now it has a good battery. Starter was fried. Wouldn't even turn if I hit it directly with jumper cable. Replaced starter. No crank, everything inside comes on fine. I can hotwire to the key lug on the starter, engine starts fine. Saw something about wires under the drivers seat. If I moved them it would start, for a while. Now that doesn't work either.
JA: How old is the battery? Have you checked the battery gauge on the dash?
Customer: Battery is about 1/2 month old, fully charged.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No codes
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you

is there a flashing security light on dash or steady on ?

do you have one or 2 keys for it ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No security notice, I have two keys to the car, same symptoms.

when you hot wire the starter and engine starts can you put in gear and drive after that or as soon as you put in gear the engine dies down?

did you check the starter relay for power or ground , what are you missing on the starter relay can you jump it from there

you are either missing ground or power on that relay can you test and let me know ?

Thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The car performs just as it would if I had started it with the key. I could even turn it off, and the key would start it. In fact I thought it was fixed for a while. Then Whammo! I had taken the wires under the drivers seat apart and corrosion X'd them.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Starter relay appears to be fine.

this one you checked

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No. I checked the ones in the junction box.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Maybe if I whack it?

i m interested in the grounds and power coming to relay not the relay itself , at the time you attempt to start and you have none ,so we can see what is missing , is it a ground from computer side or the power from the igntion side ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How do I check it? I have a multimeter

that is the only relay for the starter , do you have a 3.4 liter engine venture correct ?

if you notice the spot they have the relay not the best in the world not covered correctly from weather and road elements , i have changed a lot for the same problem you describing , but not necessarily your problem , to check we need a test light ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have a test light...

problem is you need to check when its malfunctioning is doing it now ? if not staring now , have one person in car one at the relay , u have to pull it up a little if u dont have a relay tester and try to stick your test light probe in between the relay and the relay socket and see if u get power and then switch lead from negative to positive terminal on the test light lead hooked to battery and probe for ground

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is the relay plastic pinned to the body next to the battery or someplace else?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
From the figure, that's got to be it. It's not coming apart. One latch on the one side. I'll have to check it out when I have a lot more light and something to pry it lose with. I'll let you know how it turns out.

ok no problem , i believe it has 10 mm nut attached to frame have to take off,

let me know , i'm online tommorow

might take me longer to answer you back , since i m be busy at my shop during the day , but usualy answer you back within 30 min to an1 hr during the day .

Chad(akaCustomer

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi. I have the relay in my hands. Used the light. When we move the key to the start position, pin 85 becomes active. I tried to short between 30 and 87 to see if it would crank, it didn't.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
By the way, that's the only pin that seemed to have power.

does it click do you hear it ? or you just get power to it (voltage ), did you check for any grounds on it, the ground comes from the pcm

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Does click. 85 & 30 become hot. 30 is hot normally. The other leads correctly ground.

on is hot normally at turn of switch from off to on , you should get a ground to complete the circuit

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
85 is ground until we try to start it. Then it's hot.

i m not behind my desktop, let me look at the diagram in little bit and let you know

let u know some this evening

Chad

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Anything?

Starting circuit

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION The Ignition Switch provides ignition positive voltage to the PCM while in the Crank position. When the PCM receives the Crank signal, it then determines if the Theft Deterrent Fuel Enable Signal is correct and received in time. If the signal is accepted then the PCM provides a ground path for the Crank Relay Control Circuit, which closes the Crank Relay contacts and provides battery positive voltage to the Starter Solenoid. The PCM has the ability to disable the Crank Relay if a short to ignition or battery positive voltage is evident on the Crank Signal circuit, or if the Ignition Switch is left in the crank position for an extended period of time (approximately 5-8 seconds) with the engine running. The Crank Relay will also be disabled if the engine is running, a correct theft deterrent password ***** ***** received or if the vehicle is started while not in Park/Neutral position. The PCM controlled starter system consists of the following components: - The Ignition Switch - The Crank Signal - The PCM - The Crank Relay Control Circuit - The Transaxle Range/Park Neutral Position Switch - The Crank Relay - The Starter Solenoid - The Starter Motor

#30 is constant power

# ***** power with switch on

#86 ground from pcm

#85 will be power if the switch is on or start but the shifter has to be in park or neutral position based on the diagram

let me know what you find out

Chad Farhat ( aka -Customer)
ASE Certified Tech

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
All of that sounds consistent with what I'm seeing. Relay has a diagram printed on the side. My supposition is pin 30 connects to pin 87 when pin 85 is positive (key was turned to start position and it's in park/neutral). Seems maybe pin 87 is no longer connected to the starter key post? Maybe there's a connector someplace between the relay and the starter? Kind of sounds like we're getting close.

yes we are :)

do a continuity test from 87 pin to starter post , let see if wire is good

you should be getting voltage at pin 87 with key in start position

Chad(akaCustomer

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Pin #30. When I went out to test, I checked it and no power. Checked fuse #4, it's fine. While looking around, Pin #30 is powered now. Car started just fine. Appears to be something to do with pin #30 not getting power. Line to the starter of course checked out fine. Think I should start looking at the fuse box itself?
for sure , I bet u flip that fuse box around you will find corrision, good we getting somewhere :)
Remember fusible link C and the battery stud powers up pin#30
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Fuse box underneath looks nice. Some moisture has been in there. I don't think a whole lot. I see a bunch of wires. How do I proceed? Take a picture of the fuses, take them all out, then start unbolting the sockets?
if you don't have like hook prope like I have in shop, where I can test all circuits from fuses , but yes take
Picture and try a wiggle test , just move the wires from under box by and see if any changes at that time