Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air Conditioning systems

Cars will light is on ..gages

Customer Question

Cars will light is on ..gages bounce..warning lights on and off..power steering deactivates..
JA: Does the light flash, blink or stay solid? Have you tried to reset the security system?
Customer: I believe the "lock" light stays solid.. I have unhooked batt then reattached..still does it.
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2006 hhr
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: This has happened before and cured itself after working the ignition several times...not this time...this car had an early history that resulted in the dealership replacing 7 different modules under warranty..still did it..a local Mech. Did a procedure of making sure all grounds were solid and it stopped for several years until about a year ago..and it was cured by working the ignition.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I have replaced one of the keys(chipped) and both fobs
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 4 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today
What model Chevy and year you have .
Do you have one or two keys for itChad (akaCustomer
Sorry I see it is 2006How long you kept battery disconnected 10 minutes at least or less
And did lock and unlock the door with key before attempting to start after u hooked up batteryLet me know
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No for both..outline what I should do please...

ok I will send it to you in a few

Master Reset Procedure

1-Disconnect battery ( Both Cables ,The Negative & The Positive Cable )
2-Touch Cables together and hold 20 secs and let go
3-Hold Brake pedal down 10 secs
4-Wait 10 minutes and then Reconnect Battery
5-Close all the doors ,hood & trunk .
6-lock the car with key from driver door ( IF your car is Equipped with a bladeless key then just locked with the keyFob
7- Unlock car & Start your vehicle

if that dont work , we need to scan the bcm( body control module ) and retrieve fault code to see which part in the anti theft alarm system is failing preventing start up

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Still doing it
this the lock showing, we have a problem with BCM (body control module) that controls this, at this time it needs a diagnostic scan and retrieve fault codes and let have the codes, there so many possibilities that could be causing this, with out the codes I will be guessing , can you have it scanned and get me the codes ? There will be definetly codes stored in there .Let me know
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Advance was doing this..its local..I work part time at Adesa auto auction(retired) and they have a scanner but its miles away. Anyway maybe by tomorrow.
Adesa I go to one in Charlotte :)
Yes get me those codes let see what is going on
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
At Advance..scanner will not come on ...plug has no power...they have seen it before..what would cause this?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
OBDII plug fuse is blown if the scanner want power up
Check interior fuse box
I sent u a $10 offer if u like a phone call,it showed me u requested one
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Pulled the 2 amp fuse for ignition ..pass key..then replaced it..everything went away except for eng light..scan still wont power up .will replace it marked diagnostic module?

let me see if i can find it for you and send you a picture

#29 15 amp in the underhood fuse box is the DLC OBDII

I sent you the diagram

if this fuse blown , they will be no power on the DLC (DATA LINK CONNECTOR)(OBDII PLUG)

Hope I was helpfull to you ,Let me know if you need anything else on it

A Positive rating is Much Aprecciated

This Post Will Stay Open for you to Come Back And Ask Me Any Follow Up Questions You May have On This Issue Even after You Rate Me

Thank You

Chad Farhat ( aka -Customer)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
checked the two on the passenger side block related to mods and they were OK...back at work but will check this fuse in the under hood block...thanks for your help..can I check back with you in a day or two???
sure man , just let me know
I m online daily 10 am till 12 pm , some time might take a little to answer during the day cause I run my shopA positive rating is much apreciatedThis post will stay open for you to come back and ask any follow up question on this issue even after you rate meChad (akaCustomer