Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., A.S.E. Certified Master Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years working on imports and domestic cars
17920890

I have a 2001 gmc sierra, and it just cut off while i was

Customer Question

I have a 2001 gmc sierra, and it just cut off while i was driving, now it will crank but wont start.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes. And the battery is fully charged
JA: What is the model of your '01 Chevy?
Customer: 2500 hd 8.1 liter
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing yet. I put gas in it. I was thinking it was the crank position sensor
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Would a bad crank sensor cause the fuel pump to not allow fuel to injectors.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 10 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.So to answer your question, yes and no. The fuel pump should start up when you first turn the key on. But then won't start pumping again till you crank it. So initially it will pump. But a bad crank will cause no spark and no injector pulse. You can spray brake clean in the throttle body and if it starts its not the crank sensor.If you don't hear your fuel pump initially when you turn the key on, it's likely the pump.
Those years had a problem w the pump
The connector would melt. So when you buy a pump it comes with a new revised connector you have to install on the harness. You cut the old one off and solder the new one on.Let me know if this helps. And what questions you have so I can continue to help.Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Now 2 days ago i would sit idle and turn the steering wheel slightly to the left and it will feel like the truck would want to cut off and shake.
it's running now? Or that was before?
Do you still need help with this? Or did my advice help?
Please let me know.
I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Thanks
Sonny