Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years experience with ASE Certs

The gear shifter is stuck in park. It has happened a couple

Customer Question

The gear shifter is stuck in park. It has happened a couple times in the past few days, but usually unsticks at some point. Where is the shift release button so I can push it and get home?
JA: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?
Customer: I think I have working brake lights. Where would I find a trouble code?
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2003 Trailblazer
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would love to just get it unstuck so I can get home. Then I can consult my mechanic tomorrow to do any necessary repairs.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I have tried pushing the brakes, searching all over for a release button, looked for some button or switch behind the brake pedal.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In order to determine what is causing the problem you are having you are going to need to do some test starting with making sure the break lights are working. If they check okay the you are going to need to check the shift lock actuator. I have enclosed the steps in the link below to do this. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view them.