rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

2006 Silverado starts then dies immediately. Replaced

Customer Question

2006 Silverado starts then dies immediately. Replaced ignition lock cylinder and keys, reprogrammed pass lock system numerous times. Security light comes on with key ( bulb check ), after start and die security light flashes once then goes out. Same with relearn process, the security light only flashes once and goes out, it does not come on and stay on nor does it flash for the full 10 min.
JA: Does the light flash, blink or stay solid? Have you tried to reset the security system?
Customer: As I stated before its solid during key on for the systems check, once started and dies the light flashes once and goes out. Yes I have reset the security system numerous times by relearn process and tech2.
JA: What is the model of your '06 Chevy?
Customer: 2006 Chevy Silverado extended cab 4x4 5.3L vin #B base model
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I am a technician. I have replaced the ignition lock cylinder, cleaned ground at drivers a pilar, relearned security numerous times, replace fuel pump due to low volume.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I'm getting 5v ref from red/white wire at bcm, if I remember correctly the yellow has 12v on it, and the black also has 12v if I'm probing the right pin location on the grey connector of the bcm
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

I attached the full procedures you need.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have just completed the procedure and I still have the same outcome. Starts but immediately dies.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Okay, then it's not that.

Check the fuel pressure with a gauge. It's most likely not getting enough fuel.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Holds 60 psi for 20 min then drops to 58. It holds 60psi when it does also. I just replaced the fuel pump
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Do you have continuous spark?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
until it dies. The security light flashes once then goes out. I am losing injector pulse when it dies also
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

That's a security issue, if you did everything right with those instructions, then there is a problem with the computer. The system needs to be tested with a scan tool.

Thanks again for a good rating.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No codes present with a tech2.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

It won't set a code.

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Sorry about the news I had to give you, but it's definitely a security issue by what you told me, and I hope this news doesn't effect my good rating.

Thanks, Ron