david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  owner/mechanic at 3D Automotive
4993992

Here I have a 2003 Avalanche that has the default defroster

Customer Question

Good morning Pearl,
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: Paul here I have a 2003 Avalanche that has the default defroster issue, i.e. no air will route through the dash vents
JA: How long has this been an issue? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: 165,878
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: this first occurred last year, the Chevy. Tech said you can try cycling the air direction and that may work in getting actuator to respond properly, that worked for about a year but, now it's all defrost all the time. I saw some advice online for this issue and pulled the duct from the passenger side to begin removal of the actuator, when in ac mode I hear a clicking sound under the dash etc.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: it may be a harness short but I need to locate access points to check...I may go to auto parts store to have them show me what codes are poping up...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  david craig replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is***** try to help as best I can

you say that you hear a clicking noise when switching to different airflow positions?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Air is only circulated in defrost no matter what the setting is changed to, the clicking sound is only during the front vent position when selected. The 2003 Avalanche 1500_66 has 165878 miles and runs well, the AC is working the windshield will get frosty or wet in the early morning from the airflow, the truck has a console from dash to back of front seats, I removed the plastic piece of duct that runs under dash on drivers side, the temp sensor is visible in the attached duct not removed, I considered disconnecting the battery and replacing fuse in a time out manner to possibly reset the settings, your thoughts?

Its going to be the mode selector that is sticking. the clicking you are hearing is the plastic arm trying to open the mode selector actuator. its either broken or came off of the actuator shaft. its buried behind the dash and not too pleasant to get too

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Air is only circulated in defrost no matter what the setting is changed to, the clicking sound is only during the front vent position when selected. The 2003 Avalanche 1500_66 has 165878 miles and runs well, the AC is working the windshield will get frosty or wet in the early morning from the airflow, the truck has a console from dash to back of front seats, I removed the plastic piece of duct that runs under dash on drivers side, the temp sensor is visible in the attached duct not removed, I considered disconnecting the battery and replacing fuse in a time out manner to possibly reset the settings, your thoughts? If it's too complicated to pull the actuator I may need to go back to chevy house and pay the $900.00 I was quoted...

If you are mechanically inclines at all, you may do it yourself or take it to a small shop in your area. 900.00 is way to steep, but every place is different. for example I would charge 550.00 for the job at my shop.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm a Machinist/Mechanical Engineer so I could handle it I believe, Is there a diagram available that would show me the under dash location, there are several actuators under the dash...

give me a few minutes and i will get you one

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have diagram of a similar issue...http://sparkys-answers.com/2011/02/2003-chevrolet-silverado-changing-mode.html

that is pretty much the same setup you have....

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'll go with that then, where my fingers are my eyes in some places...thanks David, have a Great father's Day!!!

lol....working blind is a specialty of mine..... thank you too. and happy dads day to you also

please dont forget to rate my service