C. Walker, Jr.
C. Walker, Jr., Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Shop training and experience.

My alternator went out on a 150ile trip managed to get to

Customer Question

My alternator went out on a 150ile trip managed to get to location I was headed. Replaced alternator and jumped started pick up to charge battery. started home that afternoon and got about 20 miles from town and truck got hot I slowed down to 55 and truck would cool down to about 240 degrees. If I got over 55 or had to stop at stop light for any length of time it would go to red line. I had replaced thermostat a couple of weeks before that, since I have replaced water pump, fan clutch, flushed the motor 2 times. Still have the same problem I get over 2,000 rpm's it will red line on the guage and message center comes on to check coolant temp. Both me and my mechanic cannot find where the problem in. can you help me with a suggestion of what to look at.
JA: How old is the battery? Have you checked the battery gauge on the dash?
Customer: Yes battery is charging just a little over 14 volts
JA: What year is your Volts?
Customer: my truck is 2001 2500 hd
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I have a mechanic I use like I;ve said we replaces thermostat 2 times, replaced water pump and replaced fan clutch. flushed 2 times
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I was losing small amount of coolant about a 1to 2 quarts a month.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  C. Walker, Jr. replied 4 months ago.

Good evening, It sounds as if you have air stuck inside the system. This would cause the condition you are having. You have already replaced everything and that is what I suspect. You can replace the engine coolant temperature sensor to make sure it is not bad but I highly suspect air in the system. I have loaded the steps to properly fill the system bleeding out the air. I would follow this every word. If problem still there replace the ect. If it is still doing it than I would check for possible head gasket issue that is not bad but just starting to get bad enough to cause this problem. Let me know if you have any questions thanks. Charlie.