JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech
6149662

I bought a Chevrolet Corvette C4, 1984 in April 2015. When i

Customer Question

I bought a Chevrolet Corvette C4, 1984 in April 2015. When i now in May drove for the car inspection (in Sweden for this 32 years old Corvette the car inspection are every two year). Everything was ok from a functional aspect. BUT they adjusted the rules regarding primary and secondary VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) and then the problem started. I have the secondary one below/behind the windshiled + i have the original label om the driver door. But we could not find the one on the chassis or beam around the engine and the whole way back on the underside i also used small mirrors as some had ideas to look on top of beams... I tried to search for this via different ways - communities in US and Sweden, asked people etc. but no specified answer. No one asked/looked for this earlier when the inspection was done. On Mnday June 20 my car get driving ban. This is not fun at all - i mean the car been on our roads in 28 years (was imported 1988). This is to avoid that people mix cars and build from different parts. But this one never been stolen, crasched or rebuilt and the identiy never change during these years.
Does some have any ideas where to find the primary one?
Regards Jan
Category: Chevy
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 5 months ago.

There should be a partial VIN stamped on the front of the frame just below the battery. Remove the wheel well liner on the driver's side. The number should be stamped about 3cm below the top of the frame rail facing the front wheel. These numbers are not stamped too deep so you may have to remove some of the black paint from the frame to see the numbers.

Once the numbers have been verified, simply repaint the area with some black paint to keep rust from forming.

These numbers should be the same as the last 8 or 9 digits of the VIN.

Another VIN will be on the RPO Service Parts Indentifier decal which is either under the console lid or the passenger side storage compartment.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi John,
Thanks for your information. I done this removal and looked at this location. No stamped number in this area. Great if there is some alternative locations for a stamped VIN on a 1984. I today talked with the part that setup these roles in Sweden and i need to find these or otherwise i have to run a special inspection that will be mid August + after that some other steps incl identificatoin done at a special company to get the VIN stamped, then new control at the Car Inspection etc. - then i lost majority of the season here...