Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

I have a 2005 Chevy in the thief lock has came on in my car

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Chevy in the thief lock has came on in my car won't start
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yea the headlights turn on in I'm charging the battery now
JA: What is the model of your '05 Chevy?
Customer: 2 door Cavalier
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: If I can fix it myself well be great. So far just the one minute on in one minutes off thing but that jus pop open the trunk
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I change the key ignition bout a month ago when this problem started
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Usually this is an indication of a faulty component with the theft system.This can be the immobilizer itself that reads the key or the ecu which is the BCM or cluster.Have you tried the theft relearn at all on this to see if this corrects the issue or do you need this procedure?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Pete Yes I would like the procedure because No I havnt tryed really anything at
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Below is the 30 minute relearn procedure.Make sure you follow it exactly and if a step is missed you would have to start over with it.Make sure the battery is fully charged as well.

30-Minute Learn Procedure
1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON, vehicle will not start.
3. Observe the SECURITY telltale. After approximately 10 minutes, the telltale will turn OFF.
4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes. The vehicle is now ready to relearn the password ***** the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.
6. Start the engine. If this worked the engine should start and run.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete