Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Some one asked me to take a look at s old van. I 't know

Customer Question

Hi,some one asked me to take a look at his old van. I don't know model year. on the side it says chevy van 10 and it is a stump or short nose van. driving for two miles the van cut out and started later when cooled down. it is losing all its water. I dived down under and saw a little hole in the bottom behind one of the belt pully's. the water is pissing out of hole. what is the problem tho. Thanks
JA: What part of the car is the leak coming from? Have you checked the hoses?
Customer: its not at hoses ,it is leaking out of the block at a little hole behind pully
JA: What year is your Van?
Customer: like I said I am not sure ,this owner not sure either. where can I find this info
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I will attempt if it is not a big job.i have only soughted where the leak is coming from.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: not to sure. i would like to know if this little hole need a stopper that could have popped out or is this the passing through exit for water after a gasket has gone
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: thanks
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.

HI,

Ok, by the description, the coolant is leaking out of the water pump weep hole. You will need to replace the water pump. If you need directions, I do need the year and engine size. If you dont know it and the person you are helping doesnt know, get the vin number that is on the dash at driver side of dash at the windshield, or look for a sticker on the driver door or door sill and get the vin number off it

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
only number i see is 03/94 if it help to compare this year 94 it has a badge on side of van chey van 10
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.

HI,

That helps. But I need to know the engine size - 4.3L V6, 5.0L V8 or 5.7L V8. It should be on a sticker on the radiator support when you open the hood.

If not listed, I at least need to know whether it is a v6 or v8

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
also on the old faded sticker it says
Model: G11005
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.

HI,

Ok, I need to know whether it is a v6 or v8.

Open the hood or remove the doghouse cover inside the van between the front seats and look at the distributor cap to see how many spark plug wires there are.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it says 4.3 litre
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.

HI,

Ok, great. Give me a few minutes to upload the directions for you

Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.

HI,

Ok, directions are attached in pdf file format for you.

Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?