C. Walker, Jr.
C. Walker, Jr., Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Shop training and experience.
73583367

2009 colorado w/2.9 4 cylinder, only clicks when the key is

Customer Question

2009 colorado w/2.9 4 cylinder, only clicks when the key is turned.
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: Park
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would like to fix, but not sure what I'm getting into.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: It does have an after market alerm.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  C. Walker, Jr. replied 5 months ago.

Have you tested the battery?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
battery is good. 12.8

Start by removing the battery cables and cleaning them up really well. Inspect the wire going to the starter and make sure it is good. Remove the run/crank relay and with the ignition key in the run or start position, check for battery voltage in the fuse block where the relay plugs in at two of the terminals. If there is power at two of the terminals but the relay isn't clicking when plugged in, check for a good ground from the under hood fuse block connector C6 terminal F3 to ground G105 located at the left side inner fender near Electronic Brake Control Module. If there is power on only one of the terminals with the relay remove and the key in the run position, check for battery voltage at the Body Control Module (BCM) connector C1 terminal B6 Dark Blue wire. If there is less than battery voltage at the BCM terminal B6, check for battery voltage at the BCM connector C2 terminal B8 Dark Blue wire with the key in the run position. If there is less than battery voltage at the BCM terminal B8, check for a voltage drop for the ignition switch terminal 3 Dark Blue wire.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
You have gone beyond my mechanical skills, I'll have it towed to the shop.

It seems more complex that it is. You can start with checking the run/crank relay I have attached an image below. It is #61 in the box. I would remove and check for power on the plugs with the key on and than with the key in the start position. If you get power on two of the slots and the relay is clicking like it should that is the first part and it tested good. We than will move to starter making sure it is indeed getting the 12v when you turn the key to start. If it is and ground is good you need a new starter. I try to put every scenerio out there for you to have and check as needed so you do not have to come back to the computer everytime. But most cases if the relay is clicking the starter has failed. But we need to be sure by running the few basic checks.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Looks like it is the starter, everything else seems ok.

Okay, go ahead and replace the starter. It is under the intake manifold on these so good news no crawling on the ground. I have attached the steps to remove and install both the intake manifold and the starter. It is a pretty long job but it is all from the top. The post 4.4 hours to do a starter replacement on these and list price for starter from GM is 400.00 but you can get a aftermarket replacement for 60.00 local parts stores should have one for around that as well. http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-New-Premium-Quality-Starter-Chevrolet-Colorado-2008-2011-2-9L-2-9-V4-/331360187788?fits=Year%3A2009%7CMake%3AChevrolet%7CModel%3AColorado%7CSubmodel%3AWT%7CEngine+-+Liter_Display%3A2.9L&hash=item4d269b358c:g:ndUAAOSw4q9XTm~E&vxp=mtr