Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Just found out the oil pump is out with no psi it was

Customer Question

Just found out the oil pump is out with no psi it was recommended to replace the engine. But reading on changing the oil pump would be cost efficant. When the oil light came on my 2004 tahoe. I stopped it. Haven driven the truck till I find out what would be best
JA: What size is your engine? How many miles since your last oil change?
Customer: The sound is just a ticking sound not loud like something is busted inside the engine.
JA: What is the model of your '04 Chevy?
Customer: 2004 Chevy Tahoe LS 5.3 V8 with vin that has a Z which I found out that it's flex fueled enjectors
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well, I haven't really found a video of someone starting from the beginning on taking one off. Just parts of a video.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: All I did was get a master mechanic to test it and gave me the answer that no pressure in the oil.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: Last month prior I just replaced my water pump
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

changing the oil pump yes would be more cost effective if it is the oil pump that has failed and there is no bearing damage to the crank or cam bearings

if it was confirmed NO oil pressure then the oil pan needs to come off and the bottom of the pan checked for sludge and or the oil pick up tube being plugged if that all checks out the crank bearings need to be plastic gauged to be sure they are still within spec if they are then replace the oil pump

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here at Justanswer

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.