sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

My '07 Chevy lmm has oil pressure of less than 30 psi at

Customer Question

My '07 Chevy lmm has oil pressure of less than 30 psi at normal (60 mph ) speed . it totally overheated the other day and the DIC said to idle engine to cool it off. when it had cooled off I started off and the DIC said Stop Engine Low Oil Pressure. Is the oil pump suspect or are things ok? What do you think causes the overheating ? I was towing about 8000 lbs, uphill, outside temp about 75 degrees.
Thank you for your help.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The overheating could be caused by a number of things including a coolant leak, possibly a cooling fan issue, the water pump, thermostat, or a combustion leak into the cooling system. A radiator restriction is a likely cause if it only overheats under a heavier load such as when towing.

Unfortunately it sounds as if internal engine damage was likely done by the overheating. Possible causes for low oil pressure are a restricted pump pickup, the oil pump, and bearing/crankshaft damage. Overheating will cause higher cylinder pressure which can damage rod bearings,which in turn lowers pressure.

What needs to be done is install an actual pressure gauge and verify that pressure is low rather than a bad sender or sender wiring issue. If pressure is actually low then disassembly to inspect the oil pump, pickup and bearings will be required.