Daniel Jones
Daniel Jones,
Experience:  GM A Tech at Straub Buick GMC

Air bag light wont turn off, no but the passenger light is

Customer Question

air bag light wont turn off
JA: Have you checked the codes? Is anything interfering with the seatbelt switch?
Customer: no but the passenger light is working, and i tested the clock switch also inspected the impact sensors.
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 08 impala
JA: What year is your Impala?
Customer: 2008
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, checked out connecters sensors
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: well im just wondering if it can be reset like the check engine light
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Daniel Jones replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to the site. Thanks for coming. I'm ***** *****.
I'm here to provide as much information and insight as I can, to best answer your question.

Can you give me your VIN# ***** I can see if there are any Service Bulletins?

Thank you for posting your question.

Your business is very valuable to us.
Thank You
***** *****

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

The inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) provides continuous monitoring of the air bag circuits by conducting a sequence of checks. If a malfunction is detected the SDM will store a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) and command the instrument panel cluster (IPC) to illuminate the SIR system AIR BAG indicator. The AIR BAG indicator will remain illuminated until the malfunction has been repaired.

Before any further diagnosis is made the Air Bag system will need to be checked for codes to determine what area of the system to look at. There are a few service bulletins, but I would need diagnostic codes to see if they apply.

When the light is on the air bags will be disabled, if an accident were to occur they would not deploy.

You can check with your local auto parts stores (AutoZone, Napa, etc.) to see if they have the capability to check for air bag codes. They will usually check the codes for free.

If you need more help, please use the "Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm happy to answer follow-up questions.
If you are satisfied with the information I supplied we would like to close out this question.
If you have no follow-ups at this time, please remember to Rate My Service.

Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!
Thank you for posting your question.
Your business is very valuable to us.
Thank You
***** *****

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
took to auto zone, no codes

Did they check the Air Bag System?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
turns out their tester wont check the air bag. I ordered a tester but is their a way to reset the airbag system without it
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I hope Im not getting charged every time I send a message.