K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

Pearl, my ac blows hot air when I select auto.When I reset

Customer Question

Hi, Pearl, my ac blows hot air when I select auto.When I reset the control and leave it at 60 it blows cold air.Also when I select auto after the reset and it is blowing hot the compressor is on and the ac hose is cold.
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked for a leak in the radiator?
Customer: Yes The coolant is full
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2005 gmc sierra 2500hd
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am from what I have read I think it is the control
unit
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 7 months ago.

Hello, when the A/C is set to auto it uses input from the outside temp sensor as well as temperature sensors in the AC outlets. Usually what you are experiencing happens when one of the outlet sensors is not reading correctly. You'll need to have a scan tool used on it that can pull HVAC codes and see live data to determine which sensor is malfunctioning. I'll post some info below on how the temperature system works for your reference.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for the detailed information.Will be getting the HVAC scan.

You're welcome, it's my pleasure to help!