GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

I have a 1997 chevy 1500 with a 4.3 vortec v6 it keeps

Customer Question

i have a 1997 chevy 1500 with a 4.3 vortec v6 it keeps blowing the crank fuse in the fuse box in the cab
JA: Have you had any recent electrical work done on the car? Have you checked the circuit?
Customer: i replaced the crank sensor that is under the distubutor cap i also replaced the distubutor cap and rotor
JA: What is the model of your '97 Chevy?
Customer: all it has on side is 1500
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes i am have checked the alternator, starter, and battery
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: it blowas when you turn key to start it when u turn key on it does nothing you can heaar fuel pump
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

remove the fuse and place an ammeter in that fuse's socket, turn the key to start and read the ammeter. If it's over what the fuse is rated at, disconnect each item on the fuse's circuit one at a time and turn the key to start again and read the ammeter after disconnecting each item until the ammeter shows safely under what that fuse is rated at, then either replace that item, fis or repair the shorted wire or further diagnose what is shorted on that branch circuit.