rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

My 04 z71 will not crank after driving as the 100s of others

Customer Question

My 04 z71 will not crank after driving as the 100s of others on the net and GM refuses to acknowledge. It's none of the common problems as all the others its in or appears to be in the pass lock or anti theft system . I have a wire to my starter and I jump it off cranks every time that way .
JA: How many miles are on the car? Does the engine turn over at all?
Customer: 150000 and no starter relay clicks all lights come on as normal but will not turn over
JA: What is the model of your '148000 Chevy?
Customer: 2004 z71 1500 5.3 Silverado
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: New starter extra ground straps Batt is hot new keys new relays all new fuses clean ignition key switch
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: After sitting over night it would crank it began after a few min to a hour to over night now it will not crank at all unless I use the remote then it cranks and runs fine . Also it effects the ac when it key cranks ac works but not so if I have to use remote
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

Read this attachment, it will help you fix this.

Thanks, Ron