GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2006 Chevy Express 6 cylinder van. I was

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Chevy Express 6 cylinder van. I was experiencing a loss of power so I took it in to the shop. They diagnosed it as catalytic converters and replaced both. I went to pick up the van and it immediately started acting the same way. It has NO power when sitting idle or when you try to take off. (will not climb a steep driveway) but drives, shifts and runs normal once you get going down the road. Put it in drive or reverse and the engine lugs down bad and if you get hard on the accelerator it just lugs away with out any get up and go. (Reverse or forward. Low 1, Reverse or Drive) I repeat when going down the highway it seems normal with acceleration and all including down shifting for passing. It was driving fine one minute and then the next it wasn't. I first got an inkling that something was up because I heard a squealing sound when pulling into a parking lot. I went in store came out, cranked up and heard just a slight squeal as I backed out. It never did the squealing again until today when I went to pick it up. I did not even get out of the Shop drive because it did not want to climb the hill in their drive. When I pulled it back to the shop door it began to squeal for about 30 seconds and then it stopped and has not done it since. The only codes that were showing was one about the thermostat (stuck open I assume because the temp is fine) and one about the oxygen sensor which has been on for a while and has never been a problem. What could be causing the complete loss of power at idle and take off??
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The thermostat nor the O2 sensor have been replaced. Also the lugging sound and feeling seems to go away when you let off the brake but it still has no low end power it just doesn't sound like it is going to die. (I probably could not pull a trailer or boat and definitely could not go up a hill with it especially from a dead stop) Also this is with AC on and off but obviously worse with AC on.
Expert:  David H replied 5 months ago.

I have ran into this set of symptoms before. The problem turned to be a failed torque converter for the transmission. When removing the torque converter the fluid inside was very burnt. I replaced the torque converter fixing the problem.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Any other ideas or possibilities??
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hey David, it seems as though the torque converter is shot and they found burnt fluid as well as some trash. Is it safe to just put in a new torque converter and new fluid??