Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.

I was reading this other post my truck is doing the same

Customer Question

i was reading this other post my truck is doing the same thing ...reving real high before it shifts gears
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: no leaks... it's an 89 z71 4x4
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 89 chevy 4x4.... z71
JA: What year is your chevy?
Customer: 1989
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: haven't tried nothing yet ...was gonna try and work on it this weekend
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: i rebuilt the engine a few years ago......... it runs well........ this shifting problem just started........ it's worse when the truck is cold .
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

I'd take a look at the colour of the transmission oil it should be a dark red colour if its black then its needs changing together with its oil filter. Also check its level with the gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park.

You can top up the box through the dipstick tube if required and make sure you use the correct oil for your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use..

If that’s all OK then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire

If this is OK then check the selector lever linkage / cable under the car for any broken parts and or missing bolts as if this is coming adrift then it can rub on the car body or just bind up

Then - you should top up if low and re try it - or, if its level is ok - and condition is ok - then the next step is to drain it off - open it up and clean the filters inside -- refill and retry it..

Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you