Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.

I own a 1999 Silverado, 156.000 is the mileage. trouble with

Customer Question

Hello, I own a 1999 Silverado, 156.000 is the mileage. trouble with a load rumbling felt in steering wheel, sound starts to be noticed at 35mph up to 55mph then it dissipates at any higher speed but returns once deceleration reaches back below 55mph. Hub fluids are at current levels and I wonder what I may be facing as to a full frontend rebuild job.
Do you know of why this would be noticed only at these speeds as this is an automatic transmission and a select shift located on the floor board. operation between lower range gears seems to function fine with no noticeable rumbling in 4WL or 4Wh, but seems to present its self in 2WH range. I have not tried it in 4Wh at the 55mph range for fear its not really recommended unless necessary.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

if the rumbling noise changes tone or stops during hard cornering, then this would point to either the wheel bearing being worn or the gears themselves

I'd say a worn bearing is more likely and this is replaced as an entire unit

and I'd say that for the noise / vibration to dissapear in 4WD modes its likley that the drive load is taking up the slack and seating the bearing

a new hub unit is about $50 and I'd work on a garage needing 2 hours to replace it

Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you