Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European

My 2011 Colorado turn signal/brake light has [3] wires -

Customer Question

My 2011 Colorado turn signal/brake light has [3] wires - brown-black and green. Which is the [+] and which is the [-]?
JA: Have you checked the fuse? Have you checked for bad bulbs?
Customer: no i installed LED's and I am adding load resistors!
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No. I just want to make sure I am splicing the correct wires.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 4 months ago.

Hi there.

None of those wires are ground. Ground circuits are indicated by Black wires going from the bulb connectors to the body and frame. If I may ask, what are trying to do/fix?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am adding 50W 6ohm load resistors to stop the hyper blinking that the LED conversion creates. The load resistors have a wire coming out both ends and the body[heat sink] has built in mounting holes to mount to the trucks body for stability. They are made by Aaron electrical automotive products.

OOps... I guess I missed the part where you stated you were adding load resistors to compensate for LEDs. Sorry about that.

60 Watts is a bit much. A regular stop/turn signal bulb is rated at a little more than 26 Watts, so adding a 25 Watt resistor in series to each power circuit with the LED should do the trick - in series means you cut the wire and splice the resistor to each end.

OK. I see that you're using the type of resistor that needs to be added in parallel (see attached graphic). For that kind, splice one wire from the resistor to the power wire and the other to ground (Black wire). For example, for the Left Tail/Turn Signal lamp, the power wire is Yellow, Black is ground. For the Right Tail/Turn Signal lamp, power wire is Dark Green, Black is ground. The Left and Right Stop lamps each get a Light Blue power wire, Black is ground.

Park/Tail lamps each get power on a Brown wire, Black is ground.