sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Everything that is stated in the recall 14V252000. Brake

Customer Question

Everything that is stated in the recall 14V252000. Brake light come on when pedal not pressed, go off when it is pressed. Service esc & traction code on dash, cruise won't work. I was told it was a recall a yr ago & it was fixed now it is doing EXACT same thing; however when I just took it to dealer they said only code they saw was C0277 which is a brake position switch or something & not covered under recall?!!!
JA: Have you checked the brake light switch? How about the fuses?
Customer: The fuses are ok
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: I honestly don't know what the dealer checked. Just that they r making me pay for the same thing that was covered under the recall. I mean it's a Safety issue. I'm just upset & do t know what to do
JA: What year is your Chevy?
Customer: What I do know is I will never own another Chevy again
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: 2010 Malibu
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: When they fixed it 1st time, they told me they switched out some wire that was coroded. Worked perfect 4 about 6 months, then started again
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The recall you referenced was for a connection issue causing these symptoms. The brake switch is monitored by the body controller. The recall involved applying dielectric grease to the BCM and brake switch connectors and installing a spacer at the BCM to hold the wiring harness at a different angle.

If the brake switch is causing your issue now that wouldn't be recall related, the only way the current symptoms would be recall related is if the recall was performed improperly, not done at all, or it was done yet the recall fix does not repair the issue (which would then affect millions of vehicles).

Just like any other system there are many involved parts and different failures can cause the same symptoms. For instance if a bulb isn't lighting, possible causes for the same symptoms would be wiring, the switch, the bulb, a blown fuse, loss of ground, etc depending on the circuit. In this case possible causes are the brake switch, wiring, connections, and the BCM itself. Unless the problem is a connection issue at the BCM then it isn't recall related.