Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.

I have a coolant leak in my 2011 Chevy Cruze and we cannot

Customer Question

I have a coolant leak in my 2011 Chevy Cruze and we cannot locate where it is leaking from . It is not the water pump and it doesn't leak all the time it will just randomly leak a puddle underneath it. Do you have any idea where it might be coming from so that we can get it fixed
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

One thing to do here that really helps pinpoint the leak is to rent a coolant pressure tester from a local parts store.Then you can pressurize the system to then check over the coolant hoses and components for anything leaking.Once this is done and the leak is located it can be repaired.

One common cause I have seen is the heater core can leak and leak out of the ac drain.Usually if this is the cause here you would smell the coolant inside the vehicle with the heater or ac running.

I have also seen the heater core hoses leak around the clamps intermittently.

I would have the coolant system pressure tested for any leaks and any leaks found would need repaired to correct this fault here.This is the best way.If no leaks show up purchase some coolant tracer dye.You add this little bottle of dye to the coolant system and it can be obtained from a parts store.Then the vehicle is ran until it leaks then use a black light to look around the engine bay area for the due leaking.It will usually be a neon orange or yellow that shows up and will show a trail where the coolant leak is coming from.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete