Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics
18617752

We have a 05 Chev Cobalt and the fuel tank is full but the

Customer Question

We have a 05 Chev Cobalt and the fuel tank is full but the gage registers an 1/8 of a tank. What could be wrong?
JA: How has your mileage been lately? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: I haven't been driving it on a regular basis.. We were having problems with it starting, but lately it's started fine..
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We have done nothing...Just realized the gage was acting crazy when it showed it was low in gas and when i tried to put gas in it, it wouldn't hold much..
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I have a friend who is a mechanic who is willing to help but he doesn't have a clue what was wrong..
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 months ago.

When the fuel gauge is erratic or incorrect, this is most commonly due to a faulty Fuel Level Sensor. This sensor is located inside the fuel tank, mounted to the side of the fuel pump assembly. These are actually fairly common fail items on many GM vehicles. Inspect the electrical connector and wire harness going to the top of the fuel tank for any loose, broken or damaged wires. If the visual inspection checks ok, replace the fuel level sensor. If you found this answer helpful, please help me and leave a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 months ago.

..