Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., A.S.E. Certified Master Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years working on imports and domestic cars
17920890

I just read an answer regarding another 2003 Trailblazer and

Customer Question

Hi Tom, I just read an answer regarding another 2003 Trailblazer and mine has the same issue--the gear shifter is locked in park and will not release. However, the circumstances are a little different preceding this. The car has been running dead since a mechanic unhooked the ABS system due to a skipping issue with the brake. The car went dead with the key in the ignition after I tried to start it, i jumped it, and now I can turn the steering wheel, but the gear shifter won't shift or move, and the button won't depress. Do I still need to check the fuses or the shift lock solenoid? In addition, the mechanic changed out the instrument panel because of erratic gas gauge information, but that also was to no avail. It is still doing that too, but could he have wired something wrong or not connected something that would not allow the shifter to engage?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.May I ask, if you push on the brake, do you have brake lights?Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do have brake lights. Could this be the e-brake? How do I get it to release? Also, I answered this online as well, so you may see this answer twice....
No the e brake won't effect the shifter button. When you push on the brake do you hear the click from the shift lock solinoid? If not, you need to see if it gets power when you press on the brake. But you may want to pull the connectors off the body control module and see if they are corroded. It can cause a lot of the problems you are having with this vehicle.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, I can do that, but exactly where do I find the body control module? There is not any clicking sound regarding the shifter or brake, but the steering wheel turns freely--it just won't shift.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The
Ok so I was wrong, it's not run thru your BCM. But the other problems still can be caused by the corrosion. It was a common problem. And they put the BCM in a few different spots depending on the trim package. But most commonly to the left of the glove box in the dash. In front of the gear shift.
But if you post your email. I'll send the instructions on how to check and replace the shift lock cable that your vehicle has. It also explains how the system works.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am sitting in the car and I don't see the BCM. See the photo. Also, I told you LT, but the trim package is LS. Sorry....
Ya the BCM is inside the dash. You will have to remove trim panels to get to it. Usually from the passenger side
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yesterday, I sent you a picture of the dash where a panel did not exist. There is a glove box to the right and the steering wheel to the left. Couldn't this be a fuse issue? I have been researching this online and the first thing they say to check are the fuses that are also identified differently. I am a female with some automotive experience, but I honestly thought you were being cynical with the "Ya." You were not specific--I can send you photos.
Ma'am, I apologize if you thought I was being cynical. I guess that is one of the problems with IM.
I wasn't trying to be cynical at all. I also didn't know you were a female, not that matters, till you said it here and I just looked at your user name. I do sincerely ***** ***** you thought I was cynical.
I was sincere in sending the instructions as well. But I see the discussion has been closed.But you were right, I wasn't specific enough.
Again I am sorry if I offended you.