AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Where can i find the crank position sensor on a 1996 gmc

Customer Question

Where can i find the crank position sensor on a 1996 gmc sonoma 2.2 liter engine
JA: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine? Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: 248000 miles it turns over but wont start, the feul pump is pumping and its got spark
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Feul pressure test and checked spark, i think i may need to bypass the key, you gotta jiggle it to get it to unlock
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. The Crank sensor is located Lower Front RH Corner Of Engine by the ignition coil packs and module. You have to gain access to it from underneath. However, if the engine has spark, the crank sensor should be good. Does the engine run on starting fluid?

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 10 months ago.

If the ignition and valve timing are both in time, then the engine should start and run on starting fluid. If not, and your SURE that the engine has spark, then the engine is out of time. I would then start by checking engine compression and the timing chain marks to ensure they are lined up properly.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 10 months ago.

However, if the engine does run on starting fluid, it is possible that you have low/no fuel pressure, bad gas or no injector pulse. You can check injector pulse using a noid light. Here is a link to a noid light set for only 10 bucks.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Powerbuilt-Noid-Light-Set-6-Piece-940580/203117099?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D25T-Garage-Automotive%7c&gclid=CjwKEAjwkPS6BRD2ioKR7K245jASJAD1ZqHOn5gD8fgeuqe7wfzi6ggzWpfVmMvR7RUxxbUZTvVfVRoCYdXw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 10 months ago.

I am going to get some sleep. Please run these tests/checks and let me know. I will be on line tomorrow. Talk to you then.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 10 months ago.

Sorry, the noid light set is 20 bucks. Still a very good deal!! Talk to you in the morning.