Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air Conditioning systems

Man have I got a story . About a month ago I took my 1998

Customer Question

Man have I got a story for you. About a month ago I took my 1998 Chevrolet Blazer 2 Door 4X4 auto trans out to one of the "playgrounds" out where I live. As I was messing around I came to a puddle and did not check it first and drove right through, well I hoped it went through but instead I swamped the Blazer. The vehicle shut down instantly and I got out with the items I knew were important. My friend came and was able to pull me out about an hour and a half later. We took the vehicle to town and put a new battery in it. We attempted to start it and at that point conceded to it being hydrolocked. I towed it home and attempted repairs immediately. I was having problems at first and knowing one of my friends has more experience with vehicles I towed it to his place and let him take over for a while. The list he gave me for swapped out parts is: Spark Plugs, SP wires, Distributor Cap, Rotor, Starter, Battery Air Filter, Fuel Filter, Fuel Pump, Engine Oil, Oil Filter, MAS, Fuses and Relays, and the ECM. After all of that we took the vehicle to the GM dealership nearby and asked them to flash the system. I received a call the next day saying the programming was complete but the vehicle would not turn over. After getting off work earlier today I called a tow truck and took the Blazer home. I have spent the last 12 hours online trying to find solutions that didn't require cutting the car wires to shreds. I tried everything I could and still can't get the vehicle to start. The symptoms are: Key turned to run the vehicle starts and stalls out immediately, security light stays solid and will not turn off, horn is disconnected (because when it was swamped the horn wouldn't stop), lights will not turn on inside the vehicle, drivers seat electronics no longer work, air bags idiot light intermittently flashes with the rhythm of whats sounds like the turn signal (I was told this was a different problem), everything else seems to be in operating conditions. I need to get this up and running asap. I have a trip coming up in 2 weeks and just need need to be able to get it running by then. PLEASE HELP
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today

hey I read your situation , I will get back with you tomorrow on this , i m going to send you couple things to check for me

how high did the water go in the blazer ?

do you have one or two keys for vehicle ?

have all the parts you mentioned above have been replaced including the ecu , was the ecu new or used?

let me know , I will do my best to help you , just keep in mind we have a water & electronic parts issue

talk to you tomorrow

thank You

Chad ( akaCustomer

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The vehicle was slopped so the front was 34" and the rear was 31", guesstimits.
Only 1 key and by what I can see it has no identifiers for chips/resistors, too thin.
All parts were replaced NEW, especially the ECM.
hey how are you today
Have you checked the back module ?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Which back module? Do you mean the BCM?

yes bcm , body control module

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Yeah, about 6 hours ago. When I found it all burnt to heck. Also finding out since then the dealership wants $400 + Tax, The Auto Parts Store $200 + Tax + Shipping + Core, Auto Salvage $45 + Tax, eBay $35 + Tax + Shipping. I decided to go with the Auto Salvage First (speed), if its broke or won't work then eBay. Take it to the dealership after that for programming $115. I figured that all out after 12 hours of research, minus the dealership price that was quoted.

hey how are you sorry i had to step out for a little bit

so it was bad

let me know what happens with it after you install , if it doesn't work we continue, I will pin your post on my desktop and keep watching for your reply

Inspect the one you getting from ebay , i have bought a bunch and turned out crap , but you might get lucky, then we will be hunting stuff all over the car and lead us in wrong direction

good luck , keep me posted

A Positive rating is Much Appreciated

This Post Will Stay Open Even after You Rate Me For You To Come Back And Ask Me Anything Follow Up Questions You May have OnThis Issue.

If you like my assistance in the future , just Start Your Questions with ( FORCustomerONLY )

Thank You

Chad Farhat ( aka -Customer )