GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

I have a 2000 S10 and I put three alternators on thought I

Customer Question

I have a 2000 S10 and I put three alternators on thought I was getting bad ones but find out that there is no fire at the small pink wire coming to the alternator I have checked all fuses can't find the problem
JA: Have you tested the battery? Do you hear a clicking when you try and start the car?
Customer: New battery there is no current when I start up to the small pink wire to alternator there should be current coming to activate the regulator in the alternator where does the small pink wire get its current from
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes I am a mechanic I just don't do much electrical work
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: The car came in charging it's just at night the lights go dim and the meter jumps some times so he wanted me to change the alternator so I did and now no current to alternator
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: No only that
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

there should only be one small wire in the connector and it should be red that the wire you are testing ?