Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

1990 zr1 corvette will not start. has new battery. open

Customer Question

1990 zr1 corvette will not start. has new battery. open door, security light flashes, goes off when key is turned but no response. secondary fuse for theft ok. waited 5minutes tried spare key but again no response.?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I have been in the auto repair business for many years and specialize in diagnosing vehicles with problems like this one you are describing. I am confident we can resolve your problem together provided you stick with me and run the necessary tests. Please understand that I don't know your skill level and that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to do my best to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first to make this as simple as possibly for both of us. I just ask that you provide me with the all of the correct information up front and with the most accurate tests results/information as possible as we move on so that I can point you in the right direction. I would also appreciate a positive rating from you in return for sharing my time and knowledge and expeirence with you in a timely mannner. Even if you rate my answer after the first few replies, we can still continue our conversation at no further cost to you. With that being said, lets get started. Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 months ago.

Good morning and thank you for the VIN! The most likley cause for this condition is broken wires from the ignition lock cylinder down to the bottom of the steering column. This is very common. These wires send the resistance reading of the resistor pellet in the key to the security module or computer to allow the VATS system to work properly. Over time, these wires break and the resistance reading of the key does not reach the computer or security module causing this no crank condition. The fix is to replace the lock cylinder and key (it comes with the wires that are broken). The part number you need is 26019134.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If the wire is broken wouldn't the security light keep flashing while attempting to start
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 months ago.

Some do and some dont. You can always ohm out the wires at the base of the steering column just to be sure.