Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

Replaced the plugs and still wont crank.If it just sits and

Customer Question

Hello again Mike,replaced the plugs and still wont crank.If it just sits and spins very fast and don't even sound like its trying to fire,would ur best guess be timing chain??.......how can I be certain and how big a project is it.....i'm fairly handy at this.....
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

Hello

I'd agree that a slip in cam timing will create loss of compression and this then allows the engine to spin extra fast

So I'd suggest the next step is to confirm this with a compression test across all cylinders

as they should all be within 10-15 psi of each other

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
what psi should they test out at ? and anyway of adjusting the timing short of replacing a worn chain ?
...Tim
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

Hello Tim

it should be at least 150 psi and ideally 170+

and unless you modify the sprockets to slot the mounting holes then the cam timing cannot be adjusted except by moving it round 1 chain link which is far too coarse for fine adjustment

Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you