Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

Turn key halfway, lights and radio turn on, turn key fully

Customer Question

turn key halfway, lights and radio turn on, turn key fully to start car, and most (not all) dash lights and radio turn off. no clicking from starter. when i let go of the key, the lights and radio turn back on
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: i've tried both, with no difference or success. i am not familiar with wheel lock
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: swapped the starter relay with a new one, no success.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: thats all
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is***** can help you out with this.

It is normal for everything to shut off when you turn the key to the start position. It saves current to deliver max flow to the starter. You will need to check the small wire on the starter and see if it is getting voltage with the key in that start position. That is the first step.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Is there anything else I can help you with?