GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Replacing BCM in 01 Tahoe after adding Denali console ,

Customer Question

Replacing BCM in 01 Tahoe after adding Denali consoleHi Ken,After removing the OEM center console from my 01 Chevy Tahoe, I have added a 01 Denali center console.What do I have to do to make the following features of the Denali center console functional (DIC, accessory outlets, cigarette lighters, lights for ashtray/cup holder/bucket/rear console)? I am not interested in the following features of the Denali console (2nd row seat heater buttons, 2nd row audio control, slave CD player).I have the console wiring harness, but it needs to be plugged in somewhere. I'm assuming I need either a new BCM, or need to have the old BCM re-programmed. Does the wiring harness for the console just plug into the BCM?Thanks in advance for your assistance.Catherine
JA: HHave you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?
Customer: huh?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: What does coolant have to do with a center console BCM?
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: Can you read my question?
JA: What year is your Chevy?
Customer: Replacing BCM in 01 Tahoe after adding Denali console Hi Ken, After removing the OEM center console from my 01 Chevy Tahoe, I have added a 01 Denali center console. What do I have to do to make the following features of the Denali center console functional (DIC, accessory outlets, cigarette lighters, lights for ashtray/cup holder/bucket/rear console)? I am not interested in the following features of the Denali console (2nd row seat heater buttons, 2nd row audio control, slave CD player). I have the console wiring harness, but it needs to be plugged in somewhere. I'm assuming I need either a new BCM, or need to have the old BCM re-programmed. Does the wiring harness for the console just plug into the BCM? Thanks in advance for your assistance. Catherine
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: JLMK...
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Please clarify that you have read my question. If so, you'll understand why I was perplexed that you were asking about coolant.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 10 months ago.

sorry............what are you referring to?
Have you asked this question before on Just Answer
IF Yes......when?
What is the URL
IF No.......where did you copy the above post from?
Are you "Catherine"?

Please clarify, as the above post does not define a question from JACUSTOMER-62g4yqc7-

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just delete "Hi Ken" and re-read. It's my post, looking for an answer, you're the first to reply. Thanks.
Expert:  GM Bob replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is Bob.

Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Nobody has bothered to answer my question yet.
Expert:  GM Bob replied 10 months ago.

You only want the lights and outlets to work?

Do you have VIN# ***** the 2001 Tahoe and the Denali?

If not can you post a picture of the connector you are working with. Also how many terminals are in each connector

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Bob,Thanks for your help. I know this is not your typical "fix it" question. I'm basically doing a mod to accommodate a better center console.The OEM Tahoe center console was thrown out and replaced with the nicer, more feature laden Denali console. It looks great, but without the wiring harness hooked up, nothing in it works. My understanding is that in order to get the DIC functional, reprogramming the BCM with new RPO codes would be required.With respect to the various powered console components, I am not interested in the functionality of the rear seat heater buttons (my Tahoe doesn't have heated rear seats), the rear audio control, and the slave CD/DVD player (I am upgrading the AV system).I would very much like to have functionality of the:
- DIC
- (1) outlet right next to the DIC
- (1) ashtray lighter
- (1) ashtray light
- (1) cupholder light
- (1) console bucket light
- (1) console bucket outlet
- (2) rear console outlets
- (1) foot area light
It would seem to me the easiest solution would be to connect the Denali console wiring harness directly into the Tahoe, have the BCM reprogrammed, then voila, everything works.I could also just tap into the outlet/light wires from the old console and get everything BUT the DIC operational that way.What say you? I look forward to your response. Thanks so much.Catherine
Expert:  GM Bob replied 10 months ago.

I think I can help.

But I need to make sure on what connectors you have.

As for the DIC I'm not sure.

Can you take some pictures of the center console and the connectors? Post them here if possible.

Do you have this connector from the console.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/70divkeexv95j4q/AABbSjRZvrjw7MlD91lzp-rca?dl=0