sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I HAVE A 1993 CHEVY TRUCK WITH A 5. 7 LITER ENGINE. IT WAS

Customer Question

I HAVE A 1993 CHEVY TRUCK WITH A 5. 7 LITER ENGINE. IT WAS RUNNING FINE AND I SHUT THE ENGINE OFF. WHEN I RETURNED THE ENGINE WOULD CRANK, BUT WOULD NOT ATTEMPT TO FIRE. I FOUND THE PICK-UP COIL OPEN AND THE IGN. COIL MODULE MARGINAL. I INSTALLED A NEW COMPLETE DISTRIBUTOR. I VERIFIED THE TIMING TO BE CORRECT USING THE OLD MEHTOD. THE TIMING MARK CORRECT, ROTOR POINTING TO #1 TERMINAL IN CAP ON THE COMPRESSION STROKE.
I HAVE FIRE TO NUMBER ONE PLUG AND FUEL IN THE THROTTLE BODY. I SHOT FUEL INTO THE THROTTLE BODY TO BY PASS THE PUMP. CRANKS BUT NO FIRE AT ALL.
PLEASE HELP
KEN
Category: Chevy
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If it won't run on fuel introduced through the throttle body then you either have a spark issue, an engine mechanical problem, possibly an exhaust restriction or fuel contamination.

Did the problem start not long after getting fuel?
Have you checked for spark on other cylinders?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
SPRINKLES 08THE PROBLEM OF A NO START BEGAN SUDDENLY. THE TRUCK HAD BEEN RUNNING PROPERLY BEFORE I SHUT THE ENGINE OFF. WHEN I RETURNED APPROXIMATELY 45 MINUTES LATER, IT WOULD CRANK BUT WOULD NOT FIRE.
THE FUEL WAS ADDED THE MORNING BEFORE AND I HAD APPROXIMATELY 100 MILES BEFORE ON THE TANK PRIOR TO THE PROBLEM.
LATER WHEN I FOUND THE PICK-UP COIL OPEN, I THOUGHT THE PROBLEM WAS SOLVED.
I HAVE NOT CHECKED THE OTHER CYLINDERS FOR SPARK.IF THE OTHER CYLINDERS HAVE SPARK, WHAT DO I TROUBLESHOOT NEXT?
IF I HAVE SPARK ON ALL AT ALL CYLINDERS AND FUEL WHAT OTHER COMPONENT COULD KEEP THE TRUCK FROM RUNNING?
FUSES, FUSIBLE LINKS, COMPUTER ?INFORMATION:
THE FUEL PUMP, FUEL PUMP LINES, PLUGS, AND WIRES HAVE BEEN REPLACED ABOUT 6 MONTHS AGO.
THE THROTTLE BODY HAS BEEN REBUILT.
THE DISTRIBUTOR IS TURNING CORRECTLYTHANKING YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP.KEN

Let's check spark strength, color, see if spark is present on each cylinder and go from there.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
SPRINKLES 08SORRY FOR THE DELAY, BUT THE TRUCK IS OUTSIDE AND IT HAS BEEN RAINING HERE.I HAVE CHECKED THE SPARK AND IT IS AT EACH PLUG.WHAT COLOR SHOULD THE SPARK LOOK LIKE TO BE ADEQUATE?WHAT DO I TROUBLESHOOT NEXT??KEN

What color is the spark?
How large of a gap will it jump?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
THE COLOR OF THE SPARK IS YELLOW & BLUE.THE COLOR OF THE SPARK WAS DETERMINED USING THE SPARK PLUG GAPPED AT .035. AND AN INLINE TESTER.WHAT COLOR SHOULD THE SPARK LOOK LIKE TO BE ADEQUATE?
WHAT DO I TROUBLE SHOOT NEXT?KEN

The spark should be blue but it definitely needs to be able to jump a gap larger than .035. If you open the tester further does spark go away?