Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Technician
Experience:  25 years automotive experience, Certified Subaru Tech and Nissan factory trained.

2010 Chevy Colbalt shakes at stop signs, now during driving

Customer Question

2010 Chevy Colbalt shakes at stop signs, now during driving sometimes, too. Check engine light now on
JA: Diagnosing the correct check engine code is the key to getting a quick fix. How many miles are on the car?
Customer: 78000
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: 2010 Chevy colbalt shakes and clicks, usually at stops, but sometimes while driving
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If I can
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: Just bought from dealer on April 22, no other problems that I know of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Hi there,

Do you have any idea what code is being stored?
When you say it usually stops, do you mean the engine stops running or the shaking and clicking stops?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The engine does not stop running. The shaking used to be only at stop lights/signs, now it happens sometimes while I am driving, also.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Ok, does the check engine light flash at all or just stay on steady?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Stays on steady
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Ok, First thing you really should do here is have the codes read. Most parts stores will do this for you at no charge. This could really assist in finding the cause of the problem.

That being said, I would or do suspect either an issue with one of the ignition coils or posibly a spark plug issue.

Usually when you get a clicking it can be one of the coils arcing and causing this noise. As the condition worsens, it will become more consistent and also happen at higher speeds.

If you decide to get the codes read, please post them here with me so I can give a more detailed answer. Example of the code I would need would be P0304, the code should always start with a P.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** take it to Auto Zone when it opens here in Arizona and get back to you
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

You're very welcome and that's sounds fine. Hopefully it will help lead us to a good answer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi, I'm back. P0011 and P0014 are the codes
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you still here?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again and sorry, I had to step out for a bit.

These codes are for the intake cam and exhaust cam.

usually these codes come up if the engine is low on oil or if the actual timing is off. I would first check the oil level and condition. Low or very dirty oil can cause the issue. It can also be an issue with the sensors themselves.

I would also take this car back and let the dealer deal with this. This isn't something you can really diagnose without the proper testing equipment. Sorry to say, but this could potentially be an issue with the inside of the engine as well.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay, but should i try an oil change first and see if that fixes it, and then go back to dealer if it doesn't? They charge $75 just for a diagnosis, and maybe I can save that fee with an oil change
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The computer does say oil 39%
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

I see, I would certainly try the oil change first. I thought you had just purchased the car and it would have some kind of warranty on it. Yes, start with the oil change for sure!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

I haven't heard back so I thought I would check on you and see if you needed any further assistance?