Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

2012 chevy Equinox, service stabilitrak, awd disabled, check

Customer Question

2012 chevy Equinox, service stabilitrak, awd disabled, check engine light on, throws a code P0004
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: Code reader gives code P0004
JA: I'll pass this info along to the Chevy Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Traction control becomes disabled , vehicle will come to grinding jerking halt by itself
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Maybe
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: Nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Code P0004 usually indicates fuel volume regulator control circuit high.This can be an issue with the fuel volume regulator itself causing this fault here in some cases.The code needs to be tested/diagnosed to help pinpoint and repair this fault here and then repaired from there.If you need more info on this code let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Traction control comes on at 5mph, turn it off service stabilitrak comes on at 30 acc says awd disabled, now it does no codes
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
In at 30mph says awd disabled now it shows no codes
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

If you have not checked for fault codes using a scan tool that can plug in and communicate with all computers in your model at all this needs done.Some of the cheaper hand held scan tools are only able to communicate with the engine/transmission computer to diagnose any codes set in this computer and cannot read anti lock brake codes or traction codes.

I would have the codes re checked with a fully compatible scan tool to see if any other codes are set needing diagnosed and repaired to correct this fault here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.

Thanks Pete