GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

We are having a problem with our 4500 bus with a 6 litre

Customer Question

We are having a problem with our 4500 bus with a 6 litre engine.The service battery charging system comes back on each time after 3 alternator replacements.There is a check engine light on but don't have the tools to scan or clear the codes,cannot get to a shop any time soon as we are isolated.
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: no the gauge on the dash will show that it is charging at first then suddenly drops to below where it should be.It has done this to each alternator.The battery voltage before starting is good I think at 13.6,then 13.8 after starting.After starting it will go up to almost 14 volts then drop to about 13.5 but will go up to 13.8 volts when I speed up the engine.I have driven it about 400 kilometres like this with each alternator
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the Chevy Mechanic to figure that out. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I would like to as we are about 3 1/2 hours away from a shop and would like to not take a chance at breaking down along the way and having to pay a big towing bill
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: Ok thank you
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: We drive on the worst road in Manitoba as was voted by people of this province,very very bad road with potholes and dust and mud and ruts when it rains such as today
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

do you have a voltmeter to do some testing with?

does your battery ever go dead?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It has gone dead on me once with no lights or nothing showing on the dash but a faint glow in the top left hand corner.I boosted it and it started immediately and was fine after running a few minutes.It started again on its own.The next day it cranked slowly and would not start on its own till I boosted it again.have installed a new battery and the latest alternator the previous night and today was still having the same issue.I do have a volt meter
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't know if this other problem has anything to to do with the charging system but I can no longer put the transmission in manual shift or 1.It only goes as far as D on the the dash

do you have anything to test with?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just a multimeter

sorry i lost you..

ok,set your volt meter on dc volts,then tell me how many volts it has with the engine not running,then

how many volts running and then how many volts running with all lights .heater and accessories on.