Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Headlight problem 2003 Chev Express Van 2500 The low beam

Customer Question

Headlight problem 2003 Chev Express Van 2500The low beam light jut stopped all at once. I tried replacing the switch and that wasn't the issue. The High beams are fine. I trced the problem to the relays. The H/B is getting 12V to the coil on the relay and its working properly. The L/B is only getting 8V not enough to trigger the relay. Its a problem with the - side. When tested on other grounds the + side o the coil is putting out 12v. Help!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 5 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

does all the signal lights work correctly?

does teh brake lights work?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yup its just the low beams

ok

does the low beam relay not click at all when you turn them on?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
nope
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
if i manually jump the ground then it comes on
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
on the relay coil

ok

lets try something simple first..

remove both battery cables,touch and hold both the - and the + together for 5 seconds,then re-install them back to the battery

let me know if that works.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Nope

ok,,i am down to a couple of things here..

i would think that your problem is the combination switch[signal light switch] sense we have had to replace these in the past.

if the problem isnt the switch and all the wiring is good,im going to think the bcm[body control module] may be bad..

i will give you some tests and diagrams that may help you find and pin-point the problem

thanks

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ohu3cvsl6inqejb/0608-chevy-van-%20LIGHTING%20SYSTEMS%20DESCRIPTION%20AND%20OPERATION.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/ohu3cvsl6inqejb/0608-chevy-van-%20LIGHTING%20SYSTEMS%20DESCRIPTION%20AND%20OPERATION.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help