Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

Changed my ignition switch now truck won't start! 2008 chevy

Customer Question

Changed my ignition switch now truck won't start! 2008 chevy silverado 5.3
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: No, battery is fairly new
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Turn key over and nothing happens
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yeah
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Disconnected battery touch the cables together for a minute but the battery backup and still nothing
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

When you go to start it check and see if the security,theft light or picture of a car with a lock across it is flashing when it will not start and you let go of the key (without turning it back any).If it is then the security system is engaged,let me know as I can see if I can locate the relearn.

If this light is not staying on steady or flashing at all let me know as well so we can continue.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No their light is on
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No theft light,
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ignition just rolls over not even trying to start
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Is the starter engaging to crank over the engine at all?Are any dash lights coming up at all on the dash with the key on?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
All dash lights are coming on key just rolls over to start but no action
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Now theft light came on
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Try this 30 minute manual theft relearn and see if the engine starts then.If this does not work let me know so we can continue.Make sure your battery is fully charged when this relearn is done.

30-Minute Vehicle Key Relearn

1. With your key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2. Observe the security indicator, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn off.
3. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times for a total of 3 cycles or 30 minutes.

Important: The TDM learns the key transponder information upon the ignition switch transition from OFF to ON. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

5. With your key, start the vehicle

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Theft light is on and it says service theft monitor system
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Did you try and do the relearn above?

Was anything damaged when the switch was replaced at all and was everything plugged back in properly that may have been moved or disconnected?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Nothing was damaged and I'm currently doing the reset process
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

O.k.,let me know of the reset/relearn corrects this issue here or not.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm on my 3rd time and theft light hasn't gone off
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

O.k.,one common missed step is lining up the gear properly on the switch being installed.Did you line up this gear properly at all before you installed it?Usually you want to match the gear teeth the way they are pointing with the old switch.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oaimqm8r3th5f9g/ig-06-08.gif?dl=0