George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Tech ASE Master Tech 15+ years

How can I tell if my 2003 chev s10 extreme has the z83

Customer Question

How can I tell if my 2003 chev s10 extreme has the z83 suspension and what kind of shocks should I replace them with
JA: How has the ride been lately? Have you noticed any fluid under the car?
Customer: Just brought the truck has 97500 miles no fluid under don't know about the ride to compair
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes shocks look old
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing just want to know what kind of shocks to buy
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  George H. replied 4 months ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

You should be able to look for the code on the RPO tag in the glove compartment, if it is not there you do not have that option.

If the shocks are not leaking and pass the bounce test I would not be replacing them. Any aftermarket shocks will have a very different ride from the OEMs and it may not be pleasant.

Are the shocks dark yellow and say Bilstein on them?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The rears are yellow did not look at fronts what is the code number in glove box

It will have the three digit Z83 code you asked about if it has that option. That is what the RPO tag is for to identify the regular production options that were put on the vehicle.